"Zest is the secret of all beauty. There is no beauty that is attractive without zest." - Christian Dior

Saturday 24 August 2013

My two fave MAC lipsticks – Patisserie and Brick-o-la


Just a quick one today, as the actress said to the bishop.

I’ve said it before, but I don’t rate most of the MAC lipstick formulations.  There are only two I can really wear – the Lustres (which have fantastic slip, a subtle sheerness to the colour, and a five-minute wear time - sigh), and the Amplified Crème, which although isn’t actively moisturising doesn’t actually strip my lips like turpentine. Cremesheens are ok, but are essentially just expensive lipbalms, so why bother?

So, if I had to pick my favourite MAC lipstick then, it has to be one of those formulations – so I thought I would pick one of each to share with you feckers today. I wear both of these often, perhaps even more so than my beloved Burberry Lip Covers, which means these bad boys must be gooooooooood.  After my horror with the brownness of Half 'n' Half I must admit I haven’t bought many MAC lipsticks recently, apart from re-purchasing these two little darlings. I rarely finish a lipstick, so to be on second-rounds with ANY lipstick, regardless of how good they are, is no mean feat.

So, both beloved and coveted, but both perform very different functions.

"Patisserie" is described on the MAC website as a “sheer, creamy neutral pink”. The online swatches may as well be pictures of kittens for all the good they do, and this one is no exception.

In my experience, this lippie translates into a sheer peachy-pink on the lips, perfect for the “peaches and cream” looks I have been preferring of late (because they’re so bloody quick to do in the mornings). “Patisserie” doesn’t impart a great amount of colour, but definitely has a lifting and brightening effect on the rest of the face. A must-have for pale-skinned beauties - on deeper or more golden skintones, I would imagine the colour could get a little bit “lost”, due to it’s lack of punch in the pigment stakes.
 
Next, the amplified crème “Brick-O-La”. MAC describes this as a "mid-tone berry", which I also think doesn’t do it justice. It’s one of those not-really-reds that I tend to be favouring at work – a polished, darker look to the lips without going all out with a bright blue-based red. It reminds me a little of Chanel Rouge Coco Mademoiselle (and we know how much I love that one!), a tad darker perhaps, but at almost half the price.

Top - Brick-O-La; Bottom - Patisserie


Bare lips

Patisserie

Brick-o-La
I also quite like the look of “Cosmo”, but the online swatch is almost indiscernible from Brick-o-La so I probably won’t bother. 

MAC lipsticks are available in store or through their website for £15 each.

Jen
x


No comments:

Post a Comment